A few weeks ago it occurred to me that I had never done a quilt for our bed. The main reason is probably the size... The double bed log cabin quilt I did for mum was a nightmare to quilt on my machine, and the one for the spare bedroom was sent out to a long-arm quilter for that reason.
Then I remembered an old quilt for my god-daughter made by joining previously quilted pieces using this tecnique.
This quilt is made by joining 4 large pieces - themselves made by simply sewing randomly chosen pieces of fabric together and heavily quilting with long narrow lines.
It's 'stuffed' with warm and natural wadding and the reverse is made using vintage sheeting
Two quilts in one, I think it can be reversed in a shabby-chic-vintage sort of way?
And now on to the next ufo.... sigh...
- Today at No 3's new swimming lesson I bumped into a friend from university. We shared a house for a year and had great fun together. Somehow we drifted apart and hadn't seen each other in 17 years. We have arranged to meet for coffee soon and truly catch up. How lovely.
- My sister and I managed to time our walk up the hills perfectly. Before and after the heavens opened.
- Now it's clear again and the sun throws lovely shadows on my wall
- I declare Lindt chocolate the best ever. Sigh. I shouldn't be eating it as I have to squeeze myself into a very tight LBD on Saturday. Might go out and buy a pair of Spanx instead. Must do that in fact.
- I'm loving the flower arrangement on my dining room table. It's all about the vessels, right Ali?
- The boys and Mr M are all out this afternoon - can you hear the silence? - and after a gorgeous leisurely shower (why is it that showers in the middle of the day always seem more relaxing?) I'm making good progress with my latest quilt.
No real blocks just pieces of fabric, very heavily quilted.... we'll see if what's in my head translated to the finished product!
- Happy Sunday to you all.
Have you ever come across Janet's blog?
No???? Geeshhh. Run, go there now. And then come back and keep reading this post, there's a give away at the end.
If you have, then you'll know what I'm talking about when I say that she's a lady of immense talent. In this huge quilting/craft world we live in it's not often that some one comes up with a distinct and unique creative vision and aesthetic.
Everything she does is 'Janet', do you know what I mean? She quilts, she knits, she draws, she embroiders, she teaches, she sews... have you seen her gorgeous 'dressing gown'?
AND she has a book out:
It is a wonderful book full of wonderful quilts and other sewing projects, ideas and templates all with Janet's wonderful illustrations.
And because Janet is incredibly nice too (you should meet her) she sent me a couple of copy of her books; one for me (hurray) and one to give away to a lucky lucky reader.
If you'd like a chance to win it, just leave me your name and a way to contact you and I'll draw a name out of a hat early next week.
How's that for a Wednesday post? eh?
I have three - maybe four of these:
I love them.
Mr M loves them. (It doesn't always happens)
I don't know what to do with them.
The blocks are 14" squares, made of sturdy 'up-cycled' (sounds much better than re-cycled) jeans.
Too stiff for a quilt?
Maybe something for the wall?
I'm waiting to hear from you, very clever people.
For the past few years at the beginning of January I made new placemats for everybody in the family.
I felt a bit sad about breaking the tradition so instead of placemats this year I made a new patchwork table runner. Call it a sideway step.
The sentiment is the same... something new for us, for our home, in this bright new year.
The boys are out with their grandad, Mr M and I are alone in the house and it feels a little bit strange, a little bit wrong. It's too quiet... it's too... different... and yet the new year reminds us that time is indeed passing and that these moment 'without them' will become more and more frequent and that we must learn to enjoy the time of noise and a full house as much as right now we're savouring the peace and quiet.
I'm going to turn on my sewing machine people...in the middle of the afternoon!!