There is no point in waiting for the right time to photograph this quilt, the weather or the circumstances never seem perfect so you'll just have to use your imagination a little...
... especially because it's upside down. It might not look that way to you but it does to me because I've been working on this baby for ages, because I've been losing sleep on the apparent random placing of the blocks, because I've changed my mind a thousand times and especially because I don't like how the first dark blue block up there is shaped like the letter 'e'. So if you wouldn't mind turning your screen upside down for a moment...
See? better right? The purple block is much better as an anchor to the whole thing at the bottom...
I should call this the 'ran-out' quilt.
I have so much fabric in my studio I was convinced I had more than enough to do exactly what was in my head.
Turned out I didn't. Single beds are deceptively large. Or maybe in my mind my children should still be baby in cots....mmmhhh
Anyway, first I realised I had to be very very careful with the gorgeous Oakshotts solids. No slish-slash cutting here. I still ran out of them.
Then I realised I didn't have enough green to do the whole front background... I had bought this in Savannah, Ga during my last holiday and had no idea which shade of Kona green it was (lime perhaps?).
THEN, after I opted for the dark navy blue (also bought in the same place) I ran out of that too and had to go to Ikea and buy a blue single flat sheet in the hope to do the whole back.
So the back is a mosaic of every scrap of green/blue/solids left over. It's ok, I like it. And no I didn't photograph it because today my brain has gone for a holiday and left no contact details, sorry.
No 2's room is very small and hard to photograph his bed without showing the appalling condition of his floor. (see yesterday's post for clues...)
This quilt however is so 'him' I'm really really happy with it.
And now he should be happy too because he's been bothering me for days about wanting to use it!
I quilted loops all over it. Green threads over the green part and blue thread over the blue. It was hard to quilt such a big thing on my Bernina, and on many an occasion I wished I had some sort of stitch regulator (some stitches are loooooonger than others!), but all in all I'm totally psyched with how it came out.
(I wished it was easier to capture its real colours!)
Now, the proof is in how quickly it will attract the rascal into bed in the evening...