I got it.
I discovered the secret of running.
1) When you get up at the crack of dawn (or earlier in my case) get your kit on before you can even think about running. Just do it. Don't think of the consequences, don't even open your eyes, grab the gear even if you have no thoughts of what it'll involve...
2) Coffee. Short and strong. It'll zap you into a false sense of awakeness. Just enough to make you think it's a good idea.
3) Tell your kids. They'll be impressed and you don't want to let them down at this early age. There's plenty time for that later on.
4) And this is the most important step of all... get someone to drop you off FAR from home. Your homing pigeon instinct will kick in and the faster you run the quicker you'll get back. I got Mr M to drop me off at the boys' school. 3.2miles away.
I'm a genius.
A tired one but still... a genius is a genius.
5) Music. Loud, so you can't hear your scary heavy breathing... it really helps.
6) And if you really have to rest...
... taking a picture is the perfect excuse!